Tuesday, August 18, 2009

What is Right with Julie & Julia


As a man walks down the street he is forcibly stopped by an attacker, a robber on a city street. This despicable character, dressed in dark clothes who reeks of sweat and breathes very harshly with more than a hint of whiskey on his breath...shows a glint of a knife blade to intimidate. He roughly pats the poor bastard down and barks for him to remove his watch and wedding band! He yanks the wallet from a back pocket and shoves the victim to the ground. As he runs away with his "take", he turns and yells to the bruised and defeated man, "Got any dreams, 'cause I'll take those too!"



This is the image that comes to mind as I finish the article, "What is Wrong with Julie & Julia". How sad that some people cannot stand back and see a larger, more positive picture...what are you people thinking?



You say you were disgusted after you had a chance to "digest" the movies trailer. You express your dissatisfaction with the book, and I suppose the timing of this article was to end the thoughts of attendance for anyone who thought that they might enjoy the film!
Well, I am guessing the way to your "gullet" is not through your hearts, souls or your dreams!



I looked around in the soft light reflected from the big screen and I saw smiles, I heard people laughing and literally felt them wholeheartedly enjoying the sights and sounds of this movie.

I left the theater beaming, for I too laughed, learned and added a bit of hope to my ordinary life that afternoon.



Just to let you in on a bit of a secret, most of us mortals don't have an easy go of it; goals and dreams are set aside, forgotten or dashed as daily life takes it's toll and survival becomes the object of intention as well as routine.

Days can go by on an endless treadmill of work and chores, children, bills and problems. We do see glimmers of hope and love our families and our country, but those are not without endless commitment and disappointment also!



This sad little cubicle girl was someone who had an awful task, in dealing with 9/11 victims families and medical recovery. No, she was not a glamorous spy...no she has not been "international" in experience, nor had she been a successful writer until now. She is, however, a person who set a goal and worked toward an end even thought it was not easy (just like Julia, I might add).



It was wonderful to see the simple joys that were illustrated in this movie and this life of Julie's. A simple, eclectic feeling transcended the screen in the setting of a cheap apartment because of celebrations, life, family and friends! Small triumphs, simple pleasures are all that it took to make daily life more interesting! It makes me proud to see a real person challenge herself and go on a journey of commitment and discovery. Simply put, it makes me want to try harder.



Maybe Julia, who must have been overwhelmed in her life by those nasty people out there who tend to hurt and disappoint (or just maybe steal your dreams), sits in a better place now to view the pure human element in all of this. Perhaps, she smiles at the challenge or a chosen goal... the gumption and the persistence to overcome obstacles that she may have once faced. I wonder, if she can see just how awesome it is, to find a piece of yourself, even if the that "bit" of you begins with someone else's foundation.
Oh, what is that, ah...she did that, right?
"Mastering the Art of French Cooking", was born from another idea, someone else's start that she made truly her own. She was unique and often awkward; she was looking for her place in this world and lucky for all of us, she found it!



Bravo, Julia...

Bravo, Julie...



Bravo, to those of us out there who aspire to anything greater than our daily bread. I am presently reading the book, "My Life in France", by Julia Child, I follow Julie's blog and I am going to be purchasing a few cookbooks myself!



I am going to challenge myself to write and to look for more life in my day! I am going to drink wine and use my poor attempts to speak French. I will spend more time with friends and family and I am going to de-bone a duck... as scary as this may be to you my dear critics, I am going to have the audacity to laugh while doing it!



Bon Appetite!



Note: Since the release of this film, Julia Child's book "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" was at number two on the national best-seller list.



http://www.eatmedaily.com/2009/05/whats-wrong-with-julie-julia/



No comments: