Friday, April 4, 2014

Just a Dash...Makes It Your Choice!

As, I sit at my table thinking...

it's too quiet, do I want to turn on some tunes?  I hear the birds chirp and the rattle and bang as the old garbage truck creeps along my street to empty the large, green bins.  I look outside at the dreary day through the steam that rises from this amazing, second cup of coffee; the one topped with the generous dash of "my" Saigon cinnamon, a sprinkle which makes it all the more enjoyable to me.

I ran errands this morning, as the rain is coming later...
choosing things, like strawberries and whipped cream, steak and mushrooms and real butter from the grocery shelves. These things appeal to me,  my choices, small things... but are they?

While seated, I light my candles; the one a friend gave me and the other I bought to match.  They are to be nestled inside the antique summer lanterns that have been centered on my table.  Peachy candles, something different...and I changed my place-mats yesterday after polishing the table.  I chose the ones with the green dragonflies and the french words and postmarks that I pretend to understand.

Oh to go to France in the spring! Ooh, la la!

I felt a little lonely for a second and then I thought of that lovely bird call again and noticed that the garbage truck had left the perimeter of my conscious hearing.  Why, I am not lonely at all!  I am happy to be blessed with so many choices and so many things that make my life, my life.  A life that I can choose to fill with people and adventure or a life that lets me choose my quiet, precious surroundings.  A life that still lets me be the individual who builds it how it makes me happy, as I please, in any given moment (and if I am not happy, I can surely change it).

I can choose my mood, my shoes, what book to read, what to eat, when to sleep, where to go, who to see... WHATEVER I WANT!

And since my brief stint with a serious illness a few months back, I know that these choices may not always be within my control.  There may be another time that sadly lingers longer and renders me helpless to the whim and choices of others; even if necessary, still not my choices.
Perhaps not in my own comfy home, in my own comfy bed.  It has already happened, I was just lucky enough to live, make it home (with the wonderful help of family and awesome friends) and have this moment to sit here, sip the hot coffee out of my favorite cup and just write.

What we heard is true, "You don't know what you got till it's gone"!  

Be happy, look around you and understand that you re blessed to be you, in your space, making your own decisions!  Choose well and remember to enjoy and recognize the myriad of "little things" before a glitch sneaks up that allows them to be snatched from your grasp!

Add a dash of something, somewhere, every day to spice it up and make it your own...cinnamon is an excellent start!  But then, that's just me!

No comments: