Thursday, November 18, 2010

Just a Bitch...

Oh, no...maybe I mean, "just a gripe!"
After all, one must maintain a certain dignity and political correctness, right?

Okay, life sucks a bit, the economy is bad, I have lost some extra work and my funds will be lower.  Insurance has been adjusted and my medication has gone up over 300% from last month.  My Dad just passed away, my boyfriend is on crutches and is on workman's compensation, until he can get back to work!  I have not been taking great care of myself and I guess I am just overwhelmed with feeling, "It just ain't gonna get better".

SO, big move!  I am getting back on track, eating in check, vitamins, if I need extra money, I will find something to do, things will come my way!  I am reading a good book, starting my yoga again and writing!  You know,  getting things done, this will all turn out okay.


GO to the lovely park that is very close to my office on the way home.  Smile and walk, smile and walk... things are going fine, birds are singing, the weather is great.  Smile and walk, acknowledge people and talk to the little baby with the funny stripped leggings on tiny bowed legs (really cute).  The train rumbles by nosily, down the track.  I have been around those tracks for more than 30 years and have even taken a ride on a steam engine, when I was a kid.  My Dad was an engineer, so we got to go along with him, it was so awesome!  We went across Lake Pontchartrain and the bridge was so narrow it was like a being inside a giant sea serpent, as he jumped in and out of the waves and headed to the far shore.  Seems like trains have always been in my life, the passing giant is a comfort... I smile and walk on, glad that I came.

As I am making my way around the circle for the 4th time, I happen to look up.  I read and walk and then I stop!  Huh?  I back up and read again!  Oh my God, I am in a public park and the sign says "No sports related activities allowed in park"!  Are you -------- kidding me?

I take my camera from my pocket and snap a shot, seems like this might be a topic for blogging.  I live in Southeastern Louisiana, hot bed of politics and the best (and most fattening) food around.  There is no public transportation, so you have to drive everywhere... I tried walking from my home to the nearby shopping center once, and took my life in my hands!  There is not even a good clearance on the side of the main road, which is a highway, so you just can't get there from here, on foot or by bike anyway.

There are national programs (that I am guessing are paid for with public funds, as was the park) underway right now, with advertisements for people to play and hour a day.  We have to promote the idea for our kids to get outside.  My guess is that the national add campaign does not fit in with the city planning here; Guess you cannot stay healthy in this park..... some politicians decided that we need to limit the use of a park and green space to no allow no sports related activities!  That is insane.

What you cannot see from my photos is the row of flags in the park, one of them THE AMERICAN FLAG....if my eyes did not deceive me!

I am floored and more depressed than before.    I know why it happened, I just cannot believe that it did.

During the spring, I spread a blanket and read a book in a very pretty spot, near the bayou.  After school, bunches of kids came out and were playing football.  There was a boom box, and lots of activity...and these kids came from the center of town.  Not the better neighborhoods, actually, close by to where I lived as a child.  So, in order to manage the use of the park and not liking what they saw, my guess is these signs were the answer to control.
I think what it should have meant to those we entrust with our care, is that maybe we need more open spaces for the kids to play!  I am sure that they cannot go on to the school fields, because that would be some liability.  There are private fields and tennis courts.  But no open basketball courts or space for football, and surely not in the middle of the city.
This is not the first time I have been upset by these types of rules.  We have a beautiful seawall along the shore a town a few towns over from mine.  It is beautiful, there are benches and very old oaks, great views of our lake and on a clear day, you can see the outline of the city of  New Orleans.  Just don't try to plan a family picnic or bring your bagged lunch, because those signs say "No food or Drink Allowed".
Amazing!  I guess the taxpayers who live in those lovely homes overlooking the water (that I envy) don't think public use should be uncontrolled.
I have been to very prominent lakes in other parts of this country, with some of the most expensive housing around and I was free to picnic with my family under those oaks...
I really don't know what else to say, except that life sucks a bit, right now...  And apparently for more people than just me!

The world has gone crazy!

No comments: