Friday, May 6, 2011

Rebel on Ice









It snowed in New Orleans, city of my birth, the day I was born...
The background of my "baby coming home photo" was on the snowy steps of Mercy Hospital and I am snuggled like a baby bug in a rug.  Snow on the Palmettos is not a common sight and when it does chance to happen, it only lingers for a fleeting moment in the sultry air of the south.
My son Bill moved north a few years ago when he made a decision to change career paths and go back to school; and for a short time before that my baby boy, Kenny had ventured up to work at ESPN for a while.
From those times on, my travel world expanded from my favorites of the tropical cruise, Mexico, Florida and Houston, to places north.
Visiting Kenny was great I went to Connecticut and NYC...I have floated around Baltimore Harbor and done some crappy skiing in North Carolina (snow blown out of a machine and ice chunks did not make for my best work on a slopes).  I made it out to the West Coast and splashed in the Pacific, rode cable cars and looked in awe toward the beauty of Lake Tahoe.  Wine Country is my dream life, and some of the most relaxing amazing vacation days that I have ever known.
But I have never been in real snow!
Well, this past Christmas I ran away to my lovely children and the most snow that I have ever seen! I LOVED IT!
Lake Michigan with huge chunks of ice and drifts so deep in nooks and corners that I could have lost a grandchild in them!
I have never seen anything like it, but I was made for it (not one single slip or fall).
I guess I really chickened out when it came to sledding down the hill, but everything else was heaven.

This post was begun during my (writing) dry spell, but it was so awesome with my family pictures and so different life from my regular humid, grassy, moss filled southern life, that I decided to finish it up and post it today.

I just came in from my yard, sweating from cutting grass and sweeping leaves, the cicada's singing the summer song and mosquito's buzzing near my ears. 

I think I miss the snow....

No comments: